You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - Shatr Al Masjid Al Haram
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information Shatr Al Masjid Al Haram

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Class Discussion   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: Shatr Al Masjid Al Haram Reply with quote  

Hello All,

It seems the word Shatr is tough for many, well, the word appeared 5 times in the Quran, in all 5 times the word was associated with another thing called Al Masjid Al Haram

This association between two different things is very common in the Arabic grammar, the first is called مضاف Mudaf, and the second is called مضاف اليه Mudaf Ilaih here is an example:

A) اتوبيس المدرسه , Autobis Al Maddrasah, i.e. Bus of the School, I???????m trying to be very accurate in here, note that I didn???????t translate it as The School Bus, this is important because for the Mudaf and the Mudaf Ilaih, the general rule is, the Mudaf MUST NOT have the Al while the Mudaf Ilaih MUST have the Al, this is how we can identify the Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih in any sentence (however there is an exception which I will discuss later on inshaallah), applying this general rule on this example, you can confirm the following:

1) The Mudaf is the word Autobis (Bus) and it does not have the Al
2) The Mudaf Ilaih is the word Al Maddrassah (The school) and it does have the Al

THEREFORE: اتوبيس المدرسه , Autobis Al Maddrasah, Bus of the school, is Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih, a proper translation due to the difference in the language structures should be ???????The school bus???????????

The above common Arabic grammar is very important to understand in my argument

In any Arabic sentence we need at least 3 types of words to make a complete sentence, they are as follow:

i) Fi???????el (a verb)
ii) Fa???????el (a noun representing the one doing the verb)
iii) Maf???????ool Bihi (a noun representing the entity which the verb is being done upon)

For example : ???????I eat??????????? can not be a complete sentence under Arabic because the sentence failed to tell us what I???????m eating., but ???????I eat bread??????????? is a complete sentence under Arabic because it tells us the 3 required components mentioned above

Now we can replace the two nouns ii) and iii) above with the Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih and in this case the Mudaf not the Mudaf Ilaih will be treated as either the ii) The Fa???????el or iii) The Maf???????ool Bihih

Let me give you an example because I know what I???????m talking about is not for the faint hearted

-> Here is an example that I will replace the noun of the Fa???????el (a noun representing the one doing the verb) with a Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih:

The school bus hit a student, as you can see I???????m using the example of Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih that I mentioned earlier اتوبيس المدرسه Autobis Al Maddrasah, Bus of the school, however I thought I translate as The school bus so I don???????t confuse you guys,

Let me analyse this complete sentence for you:

The school bus hit a student

1) The Fi???????el, the verb = hit

2) The Fa???????el (the noun representing the one doing the verb) has been replaced by the Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih (the school bus) but note the one that is doing the verb is the bus not the school, i.e. the Mudaf is the one that has to be doing the verb not the Mudaf Ilaih, got it?, the Mudaf Ilaih (School) is only to tell us that it is not any bus BUT THE SCHOOL BUS. Again got it?

3) The Maf???????ool Bihi (a noun representing the entity which the verb is being done upon) = a student, i.e. the student is the one that was hit by the school bus

->Here is the more important example where I will replace the noun of the Maf???????ool Bihi (a noun representing the entity which the verb is being done upon) with a Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih

The student hit the school bus, as you can see I???????m using the same example of Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih that I mentioned earlier اتوبيس المدرسه Autobis Al Maddrasah, Bus of the school, again I thought I translate as The school bus so I don???????t confuse you

Let me analyse this complete sentence for you:

The student hit the school bus

1) The Fi???????el, the verb = hit

2) The Fa???????el (the noun representing the one doing the verb) = The student, i.e. the student is the one that is doing the verb

3) The Maf???????ool Bihi (a noun representing the entity which the verb is being done upon) has been replaced by the Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih (the school bus) but note that the verb is being done upon the bus not the school, i.e. the Mudaf is the one that has to be representing the entity which the verb is being don upon not the Mudaf Ilaih, got it?, the Mudaf Ilaih (School) is only to tell us that it is not any bus BUT THE SCHOOL BUS that was hit by a student. Again got it?

What left for me to make this clear is to explain to you the exception where we can use a Mudaf Ilaih without an Al

It???????s really simple, we replace the Mudaf Ilaih with something called Damir representing the Mudaf Ilaih

For example instead of saying Autobis Al Maddrasah, we say AutobisiHA, as you can see the Mudaf Ilaih (Al Maddrasah) is replaced by the damir (HA), as well, we joined the both words, Autobis and HA together

I.e. we can replace the Mudaf Ilaih with a damir AS LONG AS there is more info in the sentence that tells us what that damir is referring to.

Also, the damir must imply the sex and the quantity of the Mudaf Ilaih, here is a sample of a few damirs that are called Damir Al Ghaib, please be aware that there are other set of damirs called Damir Al Mukhatabah:

-> Hu (singular masculine)

-> Ha (singular feminine)

-> Huma (dual masculine), I???????m not sure if it can be used for dual feminine but I can find for you later on inshaallah

-> Hum (Plural masculine, or plural of both together)

-> Hun (Plural feminine)

Now let me bring the 5 times where the word Shatr is used and hopefully my tough introduction (if you understood it) may make it clear for all, I???????m going to post the Arabic text only:

قَدْ نَرَى تَقَلُّبَ وَجْهِكَ فِي السَّمَاء فَلَنُوَلِّيَنَّكَ قِبْلَةً تَرْضَاهَا فَوَلِّ وَجْهَكَ شَطْرَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ وَحَيْثُ مَا كُنتُمْ فَوَلُّواْ وُجُوِهَكُمْ شَطْرَهُ وَإِنَّ الَّذِينَ أُوْتُواْ الْكِتَابَ لَيَعْلَمُونَ أَنَّهُ الْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّهِمْ وَمَا اللّهُ بِغَافِلٍ عَمَّا يَعْمَلُونَ (144)

[The Quran ; 2:144]
-> In 2:144 above the word Shatr appeared 2 times:

1) فَوَلِّ وَجْهَكَ شَطْرَ الْمَسْجِدِ , ???????Fa Wal Wajhak Shatr Al Masjid

Clearly a complete sentence because it gives us the 3 required components:

1) The Fi???????el, the verb = Wal (Point)

2) The Fa???????el (the noun representing the one doing the verb) = Wajh (Face), this is actually a Mudaf and Mudaf ilaih using one of damir Al Mukhatabah, but don???????t worry about this one

3) The Maf???????ool Bihi (a noun representing the entity which the verb is being done upon) has been replaced by the Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih (Shatr Al Masjid), see how I managed to identify as Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih, this is because Al Masjid has the Al while Shatr does not have it, this means the entity that the verb is being done upon is Shatr not Al Masjid, Al Masjid here is only telling us that not any Shatr but the Shatr of the Al Masjid, please note I ignored the word Al Haram because it is just an adjective (Sifah) that is describing Al Masjid

2) فَوَلُّواْ وُجُوِهَكُمْ شَطْرَهُ , ???????Fa Wal Wajhak ShatraHU"

Clearly a complete sentence because it gives us the 3 required components:

1) The Fi???????el, the verb = Wallu (Point)

2) The Fa???????el (the noun representing the one doing the verb) = Wujuhakum (Faces), this is actually a Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih using another Mukhatabah damir, but don???????t again worry about this one as well.

3) The Maf???????ool Bihi (a noun representing the entity which the verb is being done upon) has been replaced by the Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih (ShatraHU), see how I managed to identify as Mudaf and Mudaf Ilaih, this is because Al Masjid has been replaced by the damir HU and joined with the word Shatr that does not have the Al, see how mentioning Shatr Al Masjid once before in the same verse allowed to replace the word Al Masjid with the damir Hu when the verse mentioned it the second time, this means the entity that the verb is being done upon is Shatr not Al Masjid, Al Masjid (substituted by the damir Hu) is only telling us that not any Shatr but the Shatr of the Al Masjid,

i.e. what we need to understand what the word Shatr means

The next three occurrences for the word shatr are identical to the above so I won???????t repeat what I said but only highlight those 3 times:

وَمِنْ حَيْثُ خَرَجْتَ فَوَلِّ وَجْهَكَ شَطْرَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ وَإِنَّهُ لَلْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّكَ وَمَا اللّهُ بِغَافِلٍ عَمَّا تَعْمَلُونَ (149)

[The Quran ; 2:149]
-> In 2:149, it is said as فَوَلِّ وَجْهَكَ شَطْرَ الْمَسْجِدِ , ???????Fa Wal Wajhak Shatr Al Masjid, which is identical to the first occurrence in 2:144, so the same Ii said applies exactly in here

وَمِنْ حَيْثُ خَرَجْتَ فَوَلِّ وَجْهَكَ شَطْرَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ وَحَيْثُ مَا كُنتُمْ فَوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ شَطْرَهُ لِئَلاَّ يَكُونَ لِلنَّاسِ عَلَيْكُمْ حُجَّةٌ إِلاَّ الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُواْ مِنْهُمْ فَلاَ تَخْشَوْهُمْ وَاخْشَوْنِي وَلأُتِمَّ نِعْمَتِي عَلَيْكُمْ وَلَعَلَّكُمْ تَهْتَدُونَ (150)

[The Quran ; 2:150]
-> Then word is mentioned twice, and its use is identical to 2:144,

Now, if you ask anyone who speaks solid Arabic what the verb ShTaRa means?, they will tell you it means one thing, ???????Qasmahu???????????, i.e. divided into two sections, the word is commonly used with swords and knives, so we can say Ahmad shatar the bread with the knife, the results is called Shatrayn, i.e. two parts, for example if I shatara the bread into two parts for two people to eat, then each one should have a SHATR, and that is the word used with Al Masjid Al Haram, i.e. we should point our faces towards that imaginary plane dividing Al masjid Al haram into two parts, the first part is the one facing us and the second part is the one away from us, think of it as you are looking at a building, you can only see the half facing you, you can???????t see the half facing the other side, similar if we look at the moon, i.e. what we are ordered in all those 5 times to point our faces to the Shatr of Al Masjid Al haram, i..e The imaginary plane dividing Al masjid Al harm into two parts, the one facing us and the other facing away from us

To use an Arabic word to imply pointing to an object WHILE SEEING IT, then the word must be QIBAL, i.e. in fornt of you while looking at it, that is why the whole act of pointing to the shatr of Al masjid Al harm is called Qiblah, because we are pointing to an infinite plane that suppose to be divining Al Masjid Al haram into two parts, that plane should go all the way up and down and that is what we are ordered to point our faces to.

Finally, let me show you how the word Qibal is used with pointing our faces to something that we can see in front of us:

لَّيْسَ الْبِرَّ أَن تُوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ قِبَلَ الْمَشْرِقِ وَالْمَغْرِبِ وَلَكِنَّ الْبِرَّ مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَالْمَلآئِكَةِ وَالْكِتَابِ وَالنَّبِيِّينَ وَآتَى الْمَالَ عَلَى حُبِّهِ ذَوِي الْقُرْبَى وَالْيَتَامَى وَالْمَسَاكِينَ وَابْنَ السَّبِيلِ وَالسَّآئِلِينَ وَفِي الرِّقَابِ وَأَقَامَ الصَّلاةَ وَآتَى الزَّكَاةَ وَالْمُوفُونَ بِعَهْدِهِمْ إِذَا عَاهَدُواْ وَالصَّابِرِينَ فِي الْبَأْسَاء والضَّرَّاء وَحِينَ الْبَأْسِ أُولَئِكَ الَّذِينَ صَدَقُوا وَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْمُتَّقُونَ (177)

[The Quran ; 2:177]

-> See above تُوَلُّواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ قِبَلَ الْمَشْرِقِ وَالْمَغْرِبِ, Tuwallu Wujuhakum QIBAL Al Mashriq Wa Al Maghrib, i.e. Point your faces towards the east and the west, and of course we can see the east and the west in front of as we can see an infinite plane dividing Al Masjid Al Harm into two Shatrs (assuming it exists)

Salam

Fri 07 Sep, 2007 2:53 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website